GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR NOM CERTIFICATION
Product Certification Process requires that the NOM certificate requester be properly registered with UL de Mexico. This process is performed the first and only time the Product Certification Service is requested (unless it has been amended or data stated have been changed). For this purpose, the party interested in product certification shall submit what is specified in section: ‘Required Documents and Available Forms’
The requester shall identify technical documents to be submitted, which are indicated in the section above under subsection ‘Technical documents required by standard in the modality or scheme requested,’ applicable to the type of product. [Make sure that forms to be registered correspond to the latest updated version (documents downloadable from this page correspond to the latest version)].
Submit (a) valid product opinion (s) or testing result report (s), the validity of which is:
- 90 calendar days from the date of issue, except for service reports in NOM-030-ENER-2016, the validity of which is 30 calendar days.
- 6 months after the date of issue by the testing laboratory for V (Scheme) Modality, only applicable to standards NOM-001-SCFI-1993 and NOM-019-SCFI-1998. In addition, this report shall show the following legend on the upper part: ‘Dictamen de laboratorio para certificación NOM simplificada para franja y región fronterizas (Laboratory opinion for NOM certification simplified for border strip and region).’
Product Testing Result Report or Opinion will only be valid if it is issued by a laboratory accredited and approved according to the Ley federal sobre Metrología y Normalización (Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization) or validated by UL de México, S.A. de C.V., as well as subcontracted under the standard applicable to the service to be requested, as shown in the ‘List of Bodies Subcontracted by UL DE MEXICO.’ In the case of Testing Result Opinions or Reports created from a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA), submit either:
- The original Testing Result Report accompanied with a Validation Letter issued by a laboratory with which UL de México, S.A. de C.V. has signed a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA), or
- The Testing Result Report validated, i.e. created, by the laboratory subcontracted based on the original Testing Result Report but prepared using the own form of the laboratory validating the results.
Keep original documents registered during the certification process in a file just in case they are requested by UL staff.
UL will assign a reference number to every service requested. Using this number, you will be able to track your paperwork through our Customer Service Department.
Registering the request does not guarantee the issuance of the corresponding certificate or opinion, which depends on the decision made on the conformity assessment analysis.
If any deficiencies or non-compliances are found in the results during the analysis and assessment process, you will receive the corresponding notice. These deficiencies or non-compliances shall be corrected in order to continue the certification process.
If the result of the assessment is satisfactory, UL will issue the corresponding certificate or opinion, which shall be subject to verification (follow-up), when applicable. The validity of certificates issued will depend on the type of Scheme or Modality under which the service is requested (for more details, sea ‘Schemes or Modalities’)
NOM certificates will be only given to Mexican importers, manufacturers and marketers and nationals from other countries with which the Mexican government has signed a free trade agreement or treaty, as allowed by the NOM standards under which the certification service is requested.
Once the service request has been registered and all detected deficiencies have been corrected, response time will be:
- 3 working days maximum for services in NOM-003-SCFI, from the working day following the delivery of all documents for new products.
- 7 working days for other standards and,
- 20 working days for rebuilt, refurbished, used, second-hand, second-line, end-of-sale, and out-of-spec items from the working day following the date of registration of all documents.
In addition, please remember that the information in the request, either signed by the legal representative or agent, is stated under oath. Once the Certificate of Conformity has been obtained, the product shall bear Marks of Conformity, as indicated in section: ‘Mark Usage Manual’ for NOM program.