Product certifications based on Mexican Official Standards (NOM) and Mexican Standards (NMX)
UL is an independent organization with more than a century of experience in product safety and compliance evaluation, among which are product certifications based on Mexican Official Standards (Normas Oficiales Mexicanas – NOM) and Mexican Standards Mexican standards (Normas Mexicanas – NMX).
Conformity assessment determines the compliance degree with NOM, NMX and international standards. Also included, are other specifications, prescriptions, or features comprising product samples, tests, certification and surveillance (follow-up).
The decision to grant, maintain, extend, suspend, cancel or refuse a certification to a product is made based on sustainable technical foundations, the information gathered during the compliance evaluation process, results obtained during surveillance (follow-up) visits, and other relevant data.
The corresponding procedures to grant, keep, extend, suspend, cancel or refuse a certification are available prior to ISSUING a written application to UL de México, S.A. de C.V. NOM program owner. These procedures cannot be reproduced and upon request a consultation will be performed by UL personnel.
In August 2010,the Ministry of Economy published an executive order that recognized the equivalence of certain U.S. and Canadian issued certifications with those issued in accordance to the Mexican Official Standards by Mexican certification organizations.
Learn more about this order and UL’s response (Spanish content).
The following product categories all require mandatory certification:
- Information technology equipment
- Consumer electronics
- Lighting products
- Medical devices (NOM Mark)
- Wire and cable
- Industrial control equipment
The product certification process:
An overview of the scope and process steps involved to gain NOM certification
- Submitting a product to evaluation under Schemes I and V:
- Submitting a product to evaluation under Schemes II, III, VI, VII, and VIII:
- Surveillance Process for NOM Certification Program
- Other certification processes include:
- Issuing a highly specialized equipment dictum
- Ownership extension
- Changes to certificate scope or issued dictum
- Validation letters for custom samples
- Product dictum
- Required documentation
Contact us for step-by-step guidance on these items in relation to your product.
- Certification surveillance (follow-up), suspension, and cancellation processes
Other important information:
- Legal frame
- Information on Energy Eficiency
DESIGN AND USAGE
The Foundations of Conformity Assessment systems used in Mexico.
Read more on Legal frame.