Mark Usage Manual
As the leader of product safety-testing and certification, with over 100 years of experience, UL is a synonym of safety. This is the reason why the UL Mark is globally renowned to obtain the people’s trust that the products they purchase under the UL Mark are manufactured, distributed or marketed according to their applicable standards and normative documents in effect.
In Mexico, article 76 of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization establishes that products subject to the Official Mexican Standards (NOM in Spanish) and or Mexican Standards (NMX) may exhibit the official logotypes, provided the user or consumer is not misled about the product’s characteristics, that conformity of the products has been evaluated by a duly accredited and approved product certification organization, and that the official logotypes are accompanied by the trademarks registered by the organization as provided by the Law for Industrial Property.
When a product exhibits a mark of conformity it means that it has been evaluated and meets the applicable normative documentation in effect. UL establishes this compliance through the issuance of NOM Certificates.
The NOM Certificates are property of UL, and they are the instruments by which:
- The compliance of a product is indicated; and
- The certificate holder is given the right to use the marks of conformity and/or the official mark of UL, according to the terms in this manual, in the applicable law, and in the service contract executed by the parties.
- Is permitted to make reference to the certification in publicity or promotional devices or any other material that the holder of certificate uses for promoting the product certification.
Additionally, in order to maintain the credibility and integrity of their conformity marks and/or official mark (hereinafter the “marks”) UL has prepared this manual describing both its specific design features (type and shape) and the general guidelines for the proper use and application of their marks, which are registered in the Mexican Institute for Industrial Property. Similarly, it contains the characteristics of the official mark (NOM) of which UL de México, S.A. de C.V. has the corresponding authorization granted by the Economy Secretariat, through their General Directorate for Standards.
Due to the above, the abuse and/or misuse of the marks for any purposes other than those specified in this manual, the cession or assignment of the marks, or allowing third parties to use them without prior written consent from UL, will be considered an abuse or damage to the reputation, the integrity and/or credibility of the marks; therefore UL will take the necessary actions by issuing communications, notices, bulletins and/or general publications, and reserves the right to start the actions he may consider appropriate, either out of court or at the penal, civil or administrative courts against whomever may be liable for the alteration, and/or counterfeiting of certificates, or the inadequate use of the marks, as well issuing due notice to the right agency for enforcement of the applicable penalties as provided by Title Six, Chapter II, of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization.
The marks of NOM Certification Program may only be used or exhibited in connection with products certified by UL under the terms described below, provided that the products continue to comply with the base requirements on which the certification was granted.
To use the marks, no other designs or variations are allowed. As well, when the holder of certificate has mentioned of the granted certification in its publicity, promotional activities or any other material in which it is promoted, it shall to do according to the guidance established in this document.
Your cooperation for the correct application and use of the marks of UL will be appreciated, and we thank your interest in UL’s certification programs.
The following definitions must be considered for the correct application of this Manual, in addition to those included in the current version of the Standard NOM-106-SCFI:
NOM Certificate.- A document issued by UL de México, S.A. de C.V. based on its internal operation procedures, where certain product is shown to meet the specifications established in the Official Mexican Standards (NOM) and normative documents related by which it was evaluated, and which validity and effect is subject to due verification.
Official Identifier.- A distinctive sign indicating the evaluation of compliance of a product with the Mexican Official Standards and associated normative documents as applicable, and which use and specification are established in standard NOM-106-SCFI-2000. The use of this sign allows the consumer to confirm that a product complies with its applicable Official Mexican Standards and is enforceable to the client by the terms of the Services Agreement and this Manual, with the purpose of providing evidence that the product has been tested for compliance with the specifications in the Official Mexican Standard/s. UL de México, S.A. de C.V. has received for this purpose the corresponding authorization of the Economy Secretariat through its General Directorate for Standards. The use of this identifier is mandatory to those products certified to an Energy Efficiency and/or telecommunications NOM standard only, as well as those that comply with at least one of the conditions established in the section 1.2 of the Scope of the current version of the Standard NOM-106-SCFI.
Infringer.- any person, organization or corporate entity who has abusively used the mark, whether the product is entitled or not to use such mark.
Conformity Assessment.- An assessment of the level of compliance with the Official Mexican Standards, or with other specifications, recommendations, instructions, or characteristics. It includes among other, the sampling, testing, calibration, and certification and verification procedures.
The Corporate Identity of UL de México, S.A. de C.V. – The mark of Underwriters Laboratories (“UL”) granted under license to UL de México, S.A. de C.V. which license authorized this last to use the UL Mark to identify UL de México, S.A. de C.V. as a product certification agency, relative to products compliant with the Official Mexican Standards and their associated regulatory documents for which it is accredited. The use of the UL mark is not, and may not be interpreted as an approval that the product complies with the appropriate conditions and requirements for being Listed, Classified, Recognized or Followed-up by UL.
UL-MX Mark of Conformity (of the certification).- A mark registered at the Mexican Institute for Industrial Property, applied or issued according to the mark usage manual and the certification system’s internal procedures of UL de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. which denotes that the Product has been certified by UL and complies with the specifications of the Mexican Standards and associated normative documents, which usage is allowed to the client upon receiving the corresponding NOM certificate, as per the terms set forth in the Services Agreement executed by the parties, and this Manual.
UL-MX NOM or Official Mark (of compliance).- Is the mark formed by integrating the Mark of conformity of UL de México, S.A. de C.V. and the official identifier NOM (UL-MX NOM). The use of this mark is enforceable to the client by the terms of the Services Agreement and this Manual, with the purpose of providing evidence that the product has been tested for compliance with the specifications in the Official Mexican Standard/s. UL de México, S.A. de C.V. has received for this purpose the corresponding authorization of the Economy Secretariat through its General Directorate for Standards. The use of this mark is allowed to products certified on Safety or Safety and Energy Efficiency NOM standards.
Product.- Is the result of a process. It will mean the product -manufactured, assembled, distributed, marketed, and imported or exported by the client, which is subject to compliance with the Official Mexican Standards, Mexican Standards or applicable Normative Documents, for which a NOM Certificate by UL is required.
Withdrawal.- Action by which the infringer or manufacturer of a product that has turned out hazardous -or any other party in charge of its distribution-, withdraws the product from end-users, from the market or from distribution centers to return it to the factory or to other appropriate site to proceed with corrective actions. Withdrawal must be executed by the products manufacturer or by the responsible of their distribution
Abuse.- Abuse will be determined as misuse of the mark, non-compliant products, and/or unauthorized use of the mark.
Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization and its Regulation.
NOM-106-SCFI-2017 “Design Characteristics and Conditions for Using the Official Mark”
Service Agreement, L500 NOM.
Note: The version of the above documents to be used for all instances will be their effective or superseding version.
The client or certificate holder will be responsible for ensuring that his copies of the marks or identifier accurately match the design features herein indicated, as well as their proper use and interpretation.
The client or certificate holder will be responsible for ensuring the accurately reference, use and application of the granted certification according to the guidelines indicated in this document.
Any reference to the granted certification and use of marks or identifier constitute an explicit statement and obligation by the client that the products that bear such marks or identifier, fulfill with the laws, regulations, rules, standards, requirements, normative documents and/or applicable specifications under those products were evaluated, and that products will continuous fulfill in normal conditions with that, at least until the moment of it will be used.
DESIGN CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MARK OF CONFORMITY
4.1 Composition and elements of the UL-MX mark.
The UL-MX mark of conformity contains the following elements:
- The UL acronym inside a circle which, along with the registered trademark symbol ®, constitutes the mark, symbol or logo for the certification mark of UL.
- The MX acronym or country designator, which identify the country (México) granting the certificate to the product. It is located under the UL logo.
The marks of conformity may be accompanied by the NOM official identifier, provided the certification has been granted on the basis of a Mexican Official Standard (NOM). The official mark is created when the mark of conformity UL-MX and the official identifier NOM are integrated.
The characteristics and specifications of the official identifier (NOM) are based on the effective guidelines as established in the Official Mexican Standard NOM-106-SCFI-2000, which are indicated in the outline diagram sheets.
Since the marks or identifier will be used under various shapes and sizes, their proportions will depend on their units, which are indicated in the legend for sizes on each Outline Diagram.
Conversely, if the product category is: rebuilt, used or pre-owned, the mark must be followed by the word “REBUILT,” or “USED” as applicable. It will be located on the lower part of the NOM official identifier.
Examples of the correct composition of the official mark are shown below:
2. Vertical format
4.3 Outline and elements of the NOM official identifier.
The applicable requirements for the outline and elements of the NOM official identifier are defined in the current NOM-106-SCFI standard.
4.4 Font type
Typography is an essential visual component of UL marks. The font type established for the letters in the UL logo is Helvetica Condensed Black; and the following must be considered:
- For the symbol of registered trademark ®, the font to be used is Helvetica Condensed Medium.
- The minimum height for the registered trademark ® symbol is 1.2 mm (3/64”). When the overall diameter of the UL mark is smaller than 9.5 mm (3/8”) the symbol for registered trademark ® may be excluded if unreadable to the naked eye.
- For the “MX” monogram, the font must be adjusted to the height and width of the outline diagram, therefore font size must be reduced accordingly.
- The official NOM identifier does not have a specified font type, and it must be designated according to the sizes specified in the outline diagram.
No other font type will be acceptable.
In order to guarantee visibility and readability of the marks, the space around them must be half the height of letter ‘L’ in the UL logo, or preferably larger. Nothing may touch or cover up any parts of the marks.
The marks and the identifier must always be reproduced so as to enable their easy reading and legibility to the naked eye. When the total diameter of the UL logo is smaller than 9.5 mm (3/8”) the trademark symbol must not be placed inside the logo. The smallest allowable diameter for the UL logo is 7.9 mm (.3125”).
To display the UL Mark on your promotional materials, you may use red (PMS 485 or equivalent), black or white on a dark background. When color is used on the font type, the color chosen must significantly contrast against the background, and care must be taken to ensure legibility of the copy. Make sure to use one color for all elements of the UL Mark.
Please do not try to reproduce the UL Mark. Only use an authorized UL Mark, which can be downloaded from the UL Web site: http://www.ul.com/marks/ul-listing-and-classification-marks/downloadable-ul-marks
RULES TO USE THE MARKS AND IDENTIFIER AND REFERENCES TO THE CERTIFICATION GRANTED
The marks and the identifier have their own meaning, and they are the means to certify if a product has been certified by UL under NOM certification program, through evaluation of representative samples. Hence, to use the official mark and/or marks of conformity or official identifier on the certified products, the client is required to obtain the NOM certificate with the applicable Official Mexican Standard, and/or their associated normative documents.
Based on the above, the client or certificate holder may only use the marks or identifier on the products or documents making reference to the certified product, provided they strictly comply with the guidelines and specification set forth in the present Manual.
IMPORTANT: If the product was certified by UL de Mexico only on NOM standards of Energy Efficiency and/or Telecommunications, you only can use the NOM official identifier following the rules established on current NOM-106-SCFI standard.
5.1 The mark may be exhibited on any printout, tag, inscription, image or any other descriptive or graphic subject, whether written, printed, stenciled, pressed, embossed -either bas or high-relief-, stuck or directly put on the product, according to the guidelines set forth herein. The marking of the product must be executed based on the client’s input information and approved by UL.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the official countersign may be displayed electronically or similarly, always guaranteeing that the final user has access to said information.
5.2 The plates, markings or labels showing the marks must be clear, durable and legible, and they must be attached to, or incorporated into the product, their permanence must be such that their use on any other product is not possible and it does not detach from the product through normal use.
5.3 The client may use the marks on its publicity and promotional activities and incorporate them only to those products covered by the certificates granted, only if the Service Agreement and the granted certificate are still in force, and if they are used exclusively to cover –clearly and specifically-, the scope of the certificate as granted; that means it must not lead to confusion, or to any action that discredits or may be deemed deceitful or non-compliant with the guidelines of UL.
5.4 If the client indicates that the product is too small to contain the marks, UL will determine the alternate location for the mark on the products package. Any of the following options is acceptable:
5.4.1 Only on the unit package or the smallest product packaging;
5.4.2 On the smallest package on which the product is packaged or on the product itself;
5.4.3 The UL-MX logo on the product and the mark on the smallest container or package in which the product to be packaged;
Such location will be made known to the client, either by a formal written Notification or any other written communication issued by UL for both cases.
5.5 General guidelines and rules for accurately and properly promote your product certification is defining in our Web page: http://www.ul.com/marks/ul-listing-and-classification-marks/promotion-and-advertising-guidelines/ul-mx-nom-mark/
Please note that references to UL in promotional materials are not substitutes for the complete UL Listing, Classification, Performance Verification or Recognized Component Marks on your products or their packaging. Advertising references are informational and are not proof of UL Listing, Classification, Performance Verification or Component Recognition.
- Promotion and Advertising General Guidelines and Rules.
- Any references to UL in promotional materials must be complete and accurate.
- Make sure to use the appropriate UL Mark to identify products. Correctly indicate whether the product is UL Listed, Classified, Performance Verified or Recognized. Alternatively, if the product is certified to the requirements of a specific country or region, make sure to use the appropriate UL Mark to indicate the geographic scope of your certification. For NOM Certification Program, the mark to be applied on the product is established in the corresponding NOM certificate.
- The UL Mark should never appear more prominently in any advertising or packaging than the name of the company manufacturing or selling the product.
- Products certified by other organizations, tested to UL Standards, cannot bear any UL Mark on them or in connection with their advertising.
- Do not use any UL product certification Mark or reference UL product certification on company stationery, business cards or signs. Use of these references on such materials could incorrectly imply more than a third-party safety or performance verification certification relationship between your company and UL, or incorrectly imply that all products you manufacture have been certified by UL.
- If you use a UL Mark on your Web site, you must ensure that visitors to your Web site are able to clearly identify which of your products have been certified by UL and which have not.
- References to UL can be made only once you are authorized by UL to use the appropriate UL Mark on your product.
- If UL product certification is withdrawn for any reason, all material that refers to this certification should be immediately removed from distribution, and further use of any UL Marks should be discontinued.
- If some products appearing in a Web site, brochure, ad or catalog are entitled to bear the UL Mark but others are not, you must ensure the wording and placement of UL references make it clear which products are in fact certified by UL and which are not. Do not use the UL Mark in general advertising or promotional material to suggest that noncertified products have, in fact, been certified.
- The UL symbol and any words used to describe product certification must be large enough to be clearly recognized and read by customers.
- Promotional materials, ads and packaging should only illustrate product uses that are consistent with its UL Listing, Classification, Performance Verification or Recognition or UL certification for a specific country or region.
- Do not use the UL Mark on packaging for products that are not UL certified.
Some samples of how make reference at certification for promoting this, is mentioned below:
|Sample CORRECT references||INCORRECT References|
|“UL-MX NOM certified to Normas Oficiales Mexicanas (NOM)”||“UL Listed,” “UL Approved,” “UL Listed for México,” or “UL Approved for México.”|
|“UL-MX certified to Normas Mexicanas (NMX)”||“UL Listed,” “UL Approved,” “UL Listed for México,” or “UL Approved for México.”|
|“Certified by UL de México, S.A. de C.V”||“Listed by UL de México, S.A. de C.V.” or “Approved by UL de México, S.A. de C.V.”|
|“This product is certified to applicable NOM standards and requirements by UL de México, S.A. de C.V.”||“Meets UL de México, S.A. de C.V. (UL) requirements”.|
|“This product is certified by UL de México, S.A. de C.V. Representative samples of this product have been evaluated by UL de México, S.A. de C.V. and meet applicable safety standards.”||“UL de México, S.A. de C.V (UL) Listing pending” or “UL de México, S.A. de C.V (UL) certification pending.”|
For certification purposes, the UL-MX NOM Mark or official identifier must appear on the product unless an alternate location on packaging is specified in formal written letter by UL or other written communications.
UL de México, S.A. de C.V. only certifies products that meet Mexico’s NOM standards and its own certification organization requirements. UL-MX NOM Mark does not mean nor should it be considered as approval that a product meets the conditions and requirements needed for UL’s Listing, Classification, Recognition or Follow-up Service. You should not make any claims that state or imply that your company itself is in any way “Listed,” “Approved,” or “Certified” by UL or UL LLC.
INAPPROPRIATE USE OF THE CERTIFICATION AND MARKS AND ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN
6.1 Inappropriate use of the marks of conformity and/or official mark is to be considered when:
- The marks appear on the product or its publicity if:
- The certification process is still under way or,
- The product contained in the certification has undergone changes or modifications and UL has not issued a resolution about them, or such changes have not been evaluated or notified, or
- If the product or system certificate –as the case may be-, or the report for the base product have been cancelled.
- They appear on the publicity of products among which only some have been certified, so as to induce the viewer to believe that all the products have been subject of the certification.
- Appear on products that have never been certified.
- Are assigned or transmitted, or their use is allowed by third parties without prior written consent by UL.
- Are shown on the product, but the standard by which they were certified has been canceled, modified or a new edition of it has been released and the product does not have the corresponding updated certificate.
- There is misuse of the name ‘UL’ or of its affiliates or subsidiaries, of the marks of compliance and/or official mark, reports, certificates, dicta or misuse of any other document that may induce or lead the public to a confusion (consumer deceit).
- Any unsuitable use of the mark by the holder of the certificate, including but not limited to the events above; as well as any other use considered serious by UL, will give rise to the application by UL of the corrective actions considered appropriate and adequate, which in first place will be as follows:
– Notice or Warning of Suspension;
- Notice of Cancelation of the certificate of compliance and final withdrawal of the right of use on the marks and any reference of certification granted in promotional and publicity materials
- Termination of the Services Agreement, as the case may be.
By virtue of the above, the misuse of the marks and/or their use on any kind of documentation for any purposes other than those specified above and to assign them or transmit them, or to allow their use to third parties without prior written consent of UL, will be enough cause for UL to start applicable actions based on the stipulations in the Federal Law for Metrology and Standardization, and its regulation, the Law for Industrial Property and any other applicable law.
Should UL determine the suspension of a certificate due to noncompliance with the requirements of the conformity assessment applicable to the product; or about the misuse of the marks, the client (holder of the certificate) may choose to correct, repair or reprocess the product or to remove the marks from all the products designated by UL prior to their distribution or merchandising.
In case of certificate cancelation, the client or holder of the certificate must immediately stop using the marks, certificates or other means denoting certification of a product. Any reference to the certification must be removed from all publicity material, as well as from the products. Likewise, the marks of compliance, official mark and other means used to indicate certification of such materials must be returned –if required by UL -, no later than 30 (thirty) calendar days. Issued printed certificates must be returned to UL for cancelation or destruction no later than 5 (five) calendar days from the date of notice of cancelation.
In addition to the above, when products subject to compliance with the Official Mexican Standard and their associated documents fail to meet their corresponding specification, and those products are considered to be dangerous or to pose a hazard, the appropriate agency will be notified to get their immediate prohibition of their marketing, or to obtain the immobilization of the products until they are conditioned, reprocessed, repaired or substituted as provided by the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization, and its regulation.
Conversely, UL is aware of the importance of marks and what they represent, so it will maintain a policy of “zero tolerance” against the counterfeit of marks of compliance, and/or of formal documents issued, and under no circumstance will it deviate from this policy; thus, UL will not consent to negotiate or make any covenant whatsoever with parties who have –negligently or willfully counterfeited or misused UL’s registered marks and/or formal documents that may have been issued.
UL will take the actions deemed appropriate and necessary under the effective legislation for the protection and use of the marks; it reserves the right to start the actions he may consider appropriate, either out of court or at the penal, civil or administrative courts against whomever may be liable for the alteration, and/or forgery of certificates, or the inadequate use of the marks, as well issuing due notice to the right agency, for enforcement of the applicable penalties as provided by Title Six, Chapter II, of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization.
6.2 Cancelation of use of the official NOM mark.
The validity for the use of the official mark will expire upon the following events:
- Whenever there is a breach to the conditions of use established in this manual, the Services Agreement or the corresponding standard of the applicable product, or the Technical Regulation NOM-106-SCFI in force.
- Whenever the competent authority –based on their attributions-, determines that deceitful practices have been used with respect to the use of the NOM official mark.
- Whenever the document evidencing the results of the conformity assessment is canceled or suspended.
- Whenever the original standard by which the product or quality management system was certified is canceled.
If the client or holder of the certificate disagrees or differs with the resolutions taken by UL, it will be entitled to submit recourse of review or appeal. The product will have to be maintained either at the plant, in the factory, warehouse or distribution center/s until UL issues its final decision on the subject.
Should you have additional questions or would like to receive further information, please call our customer service department at + 52 55 3000-5400 or through our website: www.ul.com in the following link: http://mexico.ul.com/en/
Relative Design & Proportions of the UL-MX NOM Mark for Its Reproduction and Application are in PDF, EPS and TIFF formats and can be downloaded directly from the following link: http://www.ul.com/marks/ul-listing-and-classification-marks/downloadable-ul-marks/
Simply click on the format you would like to download to your computer.
All TIFF files are 600 dpi bitmapped images. All EPS files are vector graphics contained in ZIP files.