Aparatos electrónicos – Aparatos electrónicos de uso doméstico alimentados por diferentes fuentes de energía eléctrica – Requisitos de seguridad y métodos de prueba para la aprobación de tipo (Electronic Appliances – Household Electronic Appliances powered by different Electricity Sources – Safety Requirements and Testing Methods for Type Approval).
Requirements and testing methods in this Norma Oficial Mexicana (‘NOM,’ Official Mexican Standard) apply to the following Household Electronic Appliances which use as power supply both public electricity supply and other power sources such as batteries or accumulators, and which will be designed to operate at up to 3 000 m above sea level:
- Commercial Radio Receivers with one or more frequency bands and one or more carrier modulation modes.
- Black-and-White and Color TV Receivers, TV Monitors.
- Video Projectors.
- Sound Amplifiers.
- Video and Audio Players and/or Recorders with Magnetic Tape.
- Manual and Automatic Record Players.
- Acoustic Box with a Built-In Amplifier.
- Digitally Recorded Phonograph-Record and Magnetic-Tape Players.
- Remote Controls for any of the devices included in this standard.
- Antenna Signal Amplifiers.
- Microwave Ovens.
- Separate sources for power supply of appliances and replacement of batteries.
- Any combination of two or more of the appliances above, such as Radiogramophones, Mixing Consoles and Sound Systems.
- Other appliances, implements, accessories and electronic devices specifically intended for household use.
- Electronic musical instruments.
- Electronic accessories such as Drum Machines, Tone Generators (as an individual equipment), Synthesizers, Musical Instruments, and all those used with electronic and non-electronic instruments.
- Video Games and Video Game Generators connected to TV.
This standard sets out safety requirements to be met with respect to design and construction by electronic appliances using as power supply both public electricity supply and other power sources such as batteries and accumulators, among others, for the purpose of preventing and eliminating the following risks for user’s corporal safety and property preservation:
- Electric shocks caused by electrical current leakage or discharges between appliances and the human body.
- Burns on the body caused by accidental or voluntary contact with overheated accessible parts.
- Body injury and material damage caused by appliance mechanical instability and/or operation of appliance moving parts.
- Body injury and material damage from fires caused by appliances during operation.
- Pathological and genetic consequences of exposing the human body to excessive doses of ionizing radiation emitted during the operation of appliances including circuits with a power rating equal to or greater than 16 KV (peak).
Electronic Appliances, the power supply of which requires higher rated voltages than the ones below, are excluded from the scope of this NOM.
- 433 V (rms) between phases for 3-phase power supplies
- 250 V (rms) in any other case
Electronic Appliances specifically designed to operate at altitudes higher than 3 000 m above sea level. For these appliances, use the standard for Aeronautical or Space-Research Equipment and components.
Note: Products with 24 V or less voltages are also excluded, in accordance with Article 10 in Appendix 2.4.1 to the NOM Agreement. UL, however, may issue the corresponding certificate of conformity upon customer’s request.